Main Article Content
This study aims to measure the work-life balance (WLB) and the performance of married female nurses and examine the mediating role of organisational commitment. The current research considers a cross-sectional survey among married female nurses in Iraqi public hospitals. The questionnaires collected the data, and the valid questionnaires were 219 and analysed by Smart-PLS after ensuring the validity and reliability of the model. The results indicated that the WLB of married female nurses significantly impacts their performance and commitment. Furthermore, the commitment of married female nurses significantly impacts their performance and simultaneously partially mediates the relation between the WLB and the performance of married female nurses. Regulating workloads and fostering a pleasant work environment are crucial to lowering job-related stress from excessive workloads. Creating a timetable for married female nurses is crucial to improving their work and personal performance.
- Al-Alawi, A. I., Al-Saffar, E., AlmohammedSaleh, Z. H., Alotaibi, H., & Al-Alawi, E. I. (2021). A study of the effects of work-family conflict, family-work conflict, and work-life balance on Saudi female teachers' performance in the public education sector with job satisfaction as a moderator. Journal of International Women's Studies, 22(1), 486–503.
- Allen, N. J. & Meyer, J. P. (1996). Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organisation: An examination of construct validity. Journal of vocational behavior, 49(3), 252-276. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1996.0043
- Arif, B. & Farooqi, Y. A. (2014). Impact of work life balance on job satisfaction and organisational commitment among university teachers: A case study of University of Gujrat, Pakistan. International journal of multidisciplinary sciences and engineering, 5(9), 24–29.
- Aruldoss, A., Berube Kowalski, K., Travis, M. L., & Parayitam, S. (2022). The relationship between work-life balance and job satisfaction: moderating role of training and development and work environment. Journal of Advances in Management Research, 19(2), 240–271. https://doi.org/10.1108/JAMR-01-2021-0002
- Blau, P. (1964). Exchange and power in social life. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Campbell, B. A., Coff, R. & Kryscynski, D. (2012). Rethinking Sustained Competitive Advantage from Human Capital. Academy of Management Review, 37(3), 376–395. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2010.0276
- Chin, W. W. (1998) The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling, Modern methods for business research. Edited by G. A. Marcoulides. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Donkor, F., Dongmei, Z. & Sekyere, I. (2021). The Mediating Effects of Organizational Commitment on Leadership Styles and Employee Performance in SOEs in Ghana: A Structural Equation Modeling Analysis. SAGE Open, 11(2), 215824402110088. https://doi.org/10.1177/21582440211008894.
- Hair, J. F., Risher, J. J., Sarstedt, M., & Ringle, C. M. (2019). When to use and how to report the results of PLS-SEM, European Business Review, 31(1), 2–24. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-11-2018-0203.
- Harini, S., Hamidah, H., Luddin, M. R., Ali, H. (2020). Analysis supply chain management factors of lecturer's turnover phenomenon. International Journal of Supply Chain Management, 9(1), 582–591.
- Hendri, M. I. (2019). The mediation effect of job satisfaction and organisational commitment on the organisational learning effect of the employee performance. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 68(7), 1208–1234. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-05-2018-0174
- Jameel, A. S. & Ahmad, A. R. (2019). Leadership and performance of academic staff in developing countries. Proceedings of the 33rd International Business Information Management Association Conference, IBIMA 2019: Education Excellence and Innovation Management through Vision 2020. Vision, 6101–6106. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3432988
- Jameel, A. S. & Ahmad, A. R. (2020). The Mediating Role of Job Satisfaction between Leadership Style and Performance of Academic Staff'. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 24(04), 2399–2414. https://doi.org/10.37200/IJPR/V24I4/PR201349
- Jameel, A. S., Mahmood, Y. N. & Jwmaa, S. J. (2020). Organisational Justice and Organisational Commitment among Secondary Schoolteachers. Cihan University-Erbil Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 4(1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.24086/cuejhss.v4n1y2020.pp1-6
- Karem, M. A., Mahmood, Y. N., Jameel, A. S., & Rahman Ahmad, A. (2019). The effect of job satisfaction and organisational commitment on nurses' performance. Humanities and Social Sciences Reviews, 7(6), 332–339. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7658
- Kim, H. K. (2014). Work-life balance and employees' performance: The mediating role of affective commitment. Global business and management research: An international journal, 6(1). 37–51
- Konrad, A. M. & Mangel, R. (2000). The impact of work‐life programs on firm productivity. Strategic management journal. Wiley Online Library, 21(12), 1225–1237.
- Koon, V. (2022). A multilevel analysis of work-life balance practices. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 60(2), 429–450. https://doi.org/10.1111/1744-7941.12268
- Mabaso, C. M. & Dlamini, B. I. (2018). Total rewards and its effects on organisational commitment in higher education institutions. SA Journal of Human Resource Management. AOSIS, 16(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajhrm.v16i0.913
- Massoudi, A. H., Jameel, A. S. & Ahmad, A. R. (2020). Stimulating Organisational Citizenship Behavior by Applying Organisational Commitment and Satisfaction. International Journal of Social Sciences and Economic Review, 2(2), 20–27. https://doi.org/10.36923/ijsser.v2i2.58
- Mazerolle, S. M. and Goodman, A. (2013). Fulfillment of Work-life Balance From the Organisational Perspective: A Case Study. Journal of Athletic Training, 48(5), 668–677. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-48.3.24
- Mendis, M. & Weerakkody, W. A. S. (2017). The impact of work life balance on employee performance with reference to telecommunication industry in Sri Lanka: a mediation model. Kelaniya Journal of Human Resource Management. Department of Human Resource Management, University of Kelaniya, 12(1), 72–100.
- Meyer, J. P., Paunonen, S. V., Gellatly, I. R., Goffin, R. D., Jackson, D. N. (1989). Organisational commitment and job performance: It's the nature of the commitment that counts. Journal of Applied Psychology, 74(1), 152–156. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.74.1.152
- Meyer, J. P., Bobocel, D. R. & Allen, N. J. (1991). Development of Organizational Commitment During the First Year of Employment: A Longitudinal Study of Pre- and Post-Entry Influences', Journal of Management, 17(4), 717–733. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700406
- MOH (2022). Iraq's Ministry of Health and Environment. MOH. http://brhd.gov.iq/index.php?name=Topics
- Mowday, R. T., Porter, L. W. & Steers, R. M. (1982). Employee-Organization Linkages: The Psychology of Commitment, Absenteeism, and Turnover. Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/c2013-0-11207-x
- Nijp, H. H., Beckers, D. G., Geurts, S. A., Tucker, P., & Kompier, M. A. (2012). Systematic review on the association between employee worktime control and work-non-work balance, health and well-being, and job-related outcomes. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health, 38(4), 299–313. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.3307
- Oyewobi, L. O., Oke, A. E., Adeneye, T. D., & Jimoh, R. A. (2019). Influence of organisational commitment on work-life balance and organisational performance of female construction professionals. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 26(10), 2243–2263. https://doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-07-2018-0277
- Popoola, S. O. & Fagbola, O. O. (2021). Work-Life Balance, Self-Esteem, Work Motivation, and Organizational Commitment of Library Personnel in Federal Universities in Southern Nigeria. International Information & Library Review, 53(3), 214–228. https://doi.org/10.1080/10572317.2020.1840244
- Prasetya, W. & Natalia, C. (2020). Investigating Factors Affecting Construction Workers Performance. J. Environ. Treat. Tech, 8(3), 1209–1219. https://doi.org/10.47277/JETT/8(3)1218
- Qureshi, J. A., Hayat, K., Ali, M., & Sarwat, N. (2011). Impact of job satisfaction and organisational commitment on employee performance, evidence from Pakistan. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3(4), 642–657
- Rachman, A. (2021). The influence of transformational leadership, competence at work, and job characteristics on the employee performance through organisational commitment: a social exchange perspective. International Journal of eBusiness and eGovernment Studies, 13(1), 179–201.
- Raewf, M. & Thabit, T. (2015). The Student's Satisfaction Influential Factors at Cihan University. International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering & Management (IJAREM), 1(2), 63–72. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2638744
- Randeree, K. & Ghaffar Chaudhry, A. (2012). Leadership – style, satisfaction and commitment. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 19(1), 61–85. https://doi.org/10.1108/09699981211192571
- Roberts, K. (2007). Work‐life balance – the sources of the contemporary problem and the probable outcomes. Employee Relations. Edited by D. Ruth Eikhof, 29(4), 334–351. https://doi.org/10.1108/01425450710759181
- Rodríguez-Sánchez, J.-L., González-Torres, T., Montero-Navarro, A., & Gallego-Losada, R. (2020). Investing Time and Resources for Work–Life Balance: The Effect on Talent Retention. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(6), 1920. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17061920
- Sheikh, A. M. (2022). Impact of perceived organisational support on organisational commitment of banking employees: role of work-life balance. Journal of Asia Business Studies. 17(1), 79–99. https://doi.org/10.1108/JABS-02-2021-0071
- Silva, P., Moreira, A. C. & Mota, J. (2022). Employees' perception of corporate social responsibility and performance: the mediating roles of job satisfaction, organisational commitment and organisational trust. Journal of Strategy and Management, https://doi.org/10.1108/JSMA-10-2021-0213
- Soomro, A. A., Breitenecker, R. J. & Shah, S. A. M. (2018). Relation of work-life balance, work-family conflict, and family-work conflict with the employee performance-moderating role of job satisfaction. South Asian Journal of Business Studies, 7(1), 129–146. https://doi.org/10.1108/SAJBS-02-2017-0018
- Sundari, M. N. D., Supartha, W. G., Wibawa, M. A., & Surya I. B. K. (2022). Does work-life balance and organisational justice affect female nurses' performance in a pandemic era? Problems and Perspectives in Management, 20(1), 288-298. https://doi.org/10.21511/ppm.20(1).2022.24
- Talukder, A. K. M., Vickers, M. & Khan, A. (2018). Supervisor support and work-life balance. Personnel Review, 47(3), 727–744. https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-12-2016-0314
- Putra, I. B. U, & Putra, I. B. G. U. (2022). Organisational Citizenship Behavior Determinants. International Journal of Business, 27(2), 1083–4346. https://doi.org/10.55802/IJB.027(2).002
- Wiradendi Wolor, C. et al. (2020). Effectiveness of e-training, e-leadership, and work life balance on employee performance during COVID-19. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 7(10). 443–450. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no10.443
- Woodrow, C. & Guest, D. E. (2014). When good HR gets bad results: exploring the challenge of HR implementation in the case of workplace bullying. Human Resource Management Journal, 24(1), 38–56. https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-8583.12021
- Worldometers. (2022). Iraq Population. https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/iraq-population/
Copyright (c) 2023 Alaa S. Jameel, Ahmed S. Alheety
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Management & Economics Research Journal is licensed under a (CC BY-NC 4.0).
The following guidelines apply to all users:
- 1-Individuals may view, download, print, or save Journal content for research and teaching purposes.
- 2-Any use and/or copies of this journal in whole or part must include the customary bibliographic citation, including author attribution, date, article title, the Journal name, and website address.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
a) Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a (CC BY-NC 4.0) that allows others to share and adapt the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
b) Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
c) Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges and earlier and greater citation of published work. Where authors include such work in an institutional repository or on their website, we request that they include a statement acknowledging the Management & Economics Research journal, including the journal's name, the volume and issue, and a web link to the journal item.
Other articles by the same author(s)
- Alaa S. Jameel, The Mediating Role of Organizational Commitment between Organizational Culture and Job Performance in the Telecommunication Sector , Management & Economics Research Journal: Vol. 4 No. 1 (2022): March